Thursday, October 25, 2018

Stihl 2 in 1 Laser Chainsaw Review (with subtitles)



This is an short review of laser pointer for chainsaws -  Stihl 2 in 1. Hi, Im Fredrik from skogsforum.Se and welcome to my home! This is an ordinary monday and it is from here I do most of the work on skogsforum.Se But today Ive removed my computer and that is because I would like to discuss lasers on chainsaws Weve had some topics on skogsforum where we discussed laser on chainsaws. And that was a topic that I was excited about so I went on to do some research. One thing I found was that Stihl actually has an product with laser and that got my attention.

Its an laser pointer that Stihl calls "Laser 2 in 1" So, I made Stihl Sweden a call ... ... Because I didnt know anything about this product. And guess what, I was able to borrow a Laser 2 in 1 from them to test it out.

And here it is! This is how it looks. I also borrowed an Stihl MS241. Its an smaller professional chainsaw, lightweight and quick. And here is the Laser 2 in 1 mounted on the front handle.

The Stihl 2 in 1 is a product that is within their product range (and has been for like three years). It looks like this A pretty small and robust product It runs on two 1,5V AAA batteries and is within Class 2 segments for laser. Off and On is the same button on the front. Push one time to start, again to turn it off.

And this is where you adjust the height of the laser pointer. The product is shipped with a plastic bracket that you snap on the front handle od the chainsaw. Yes, of course Ive tested this product in the forest. Mostly thinning of spruce.

In my point of view (Im an amateur logger) this product works fine for the work Ive been testing it with. If you buy the laser 2 in 1 for your Stihl chainsaw its a piece of cake to mount it. You just snap the plastic bracket on to the front handle until it "clicks". And after that you just snap the laser on to the bracket.

This is how it works for felling aid. You place yourself in felling position and then adjusts the laser to an aiming point out in the forest where you want the tree to be placed. (5 - 6 Meters away worked for me). In my point of view this helps me out to aim more correct, and you can work closer to the chainsaw.

You turn on the laser and then adjusts the laser as you want. Try to find a landmark to aim at. Then you can keep an eye at the laser but concentrate on a good first with precision. When you do the cut, keep an eye on the laser and your landmark.

Done well, you can be certain that the tree will fall at your landmark. As I mentioned earlier, this worked very well for me as an amateur (and a bad feller overall). Aim on the ground, the laser is visible in broad daylight, it works best however in more darker conditions. Ive placed a plastic bag between the stumps and aims the laser at the bag all the time.

Ok, that was no. 1 In "2 in 1",  here comes no. 2 - Length measuring. The second thing you can use the laser for is for measuring length of logs, preferable for fire wood.

Place the chainsaw on the log you wish to cut. Adjust the laser more narrow and use a measuring tape ... To adjust the length of your desire and then adjust the laser so it hits the end of the log (end of measure). You only need a measuring tape the first time, to calibrate the laser.

After that you can move the saw ... So the laser hits the end of the log, then you have the desired length and you can make the cut. Ok, that will be all for now. Well stay in touch on skogsforum.Se and I wish you a great day! Would you like to order our "SFO" cap? Send me a PM @ skogsforum and well take it from there.

Bye! Final words: Unless you are an professional logger, I guess this product could suite you well. It worked for me as an amateur and if I concentrate well I could "nail" every felling I did with the laser. As a development it would be great if this product or a similiar could measure longer lentghs more accurate, eg here in Sweden a measure of 5,5m would be great for timber measure, that would be great! Thanks for watching, please subscribe to our channels for more videos - hope to see you @ skogsforum.Se.

Stihl 2 in 1 Laser Chainsaw Review (with subtitles)

No comments:

Post a Comment